Emotional Eating Program
Emotional eating occurs when you choose food in response to feelings (positive or negative), instead of physical hunger. Most people experience this occasionally, but for some individuals it can become a frequent challenge and create a pattern of disordered eating.
Discover what is holding you back from a healthy relationship with food and your figure through the emotional eating program. Enroll now to get the tools and professional support you need to identify and overcome overeating related to stress, anxiety, happiness, boredeom and more!
Am I an Emotional Eater?
Take this quick self-assessment to determine if you are struggling with emotional eating.
- I often turn to food when I am feeling negative emotions such as stress or sadness, or in response to positive emotions such happiness.
- I am constantly thinking about food, even after I just ate.
- I hide my eating from my family and friends.
- I feel a lot of shame and regret after I eat too much.
- I feel unable to control myself around food.
If 2 or more of these statements apply to you the emotional eating program may be beneficial.
Avance Care’s program combines nutrition and behavioral counseling in a structured format to empower you and support you in repairing your relationship with food.
The program consists of two 9-week tiers, providing both beginner and advanced levels of support to promote long-term success. Participants attend weekly one-hour appointment alternating between a registered dietitian and a behavioral therapist. After the first 9 weeks, graduates of Tier 1 will be offered entry into Tier 2, an advanced course in emotional eating, if considerable progress has been made.
The Program is Designed to Help Participants:
- Embrace the nourishing qualities of eating
- Develop the skills needed to establish a healthier relationship with food
- Practice and implement mindfulness techniques in their daily life
- Understand the complex relationship between physical health, emotional health, and eating
- Investigate how previous experiences and habits affect their food behaviors
- Explore new strategies for self-care and self-acceptance
All potential participants will attend an introductory assessment with an Avance Care registered dietitian. Individuals who meet the program’s eligibility criteria must be able to commit one hour each week for 9 weeks of in person counseling. During each appointment, participants will be given at home activities to practice mindfulness skills between sessions.
This is not a diet or weight loss program. It is an opportunity to build the skills and knowledge necessary to improve your relationship with food.
What Will It Cost?
Most health Insurance plans cover this program provided by a licensed dietitian. In some cases, you may be eligible for unlimited benefits with no co-pay or deductible. Our Specialty Services Coordinators will call your insurance provider to verify your benefits and will alert you of any co-pays or fees, if applicable.
Speak to your healthcare provider for a program referral or call Avance Specialty Services directly at 919-237-1337