Oven Fried Chicken
Nutrition Fact: July 6th is National Fried Chicken Day. Regular fried chicken can be loaded with calories and fat, averaging 300 calories and 15g of fat per serving. Try this baked version of an American favorite that not only saves you 130 calories and 8.4g of fat, but is also full of protein and fiber!
Prep: 14 minutes
Makes: 6 drumsticks
6 medium bone-in skinless drumsticks
2 1/2 cups bran flakes
3 tsp kosher salt, less if you are using regular salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
5 Tbsp. Hellman’s light mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400°. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet lined with foil. Spray wire rack with oil.
- Crush cereal in a food processor or by putting them in a Ziploc bag and mashing with rolling pin.
- In a bowl mix crushed cereal with salt, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Place in a shallow dish or Ziploc bag.
- Combine mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Using a cooking brush, brush onto chicken then coat chicken with crushed cereal mixture.
- Place chicken on wire rack and spray with oil. Bake 35-40 minutes.
Calories: 170cal, Fat: 6.6g, Carbohydrates: 14.7 g, Fiber: 3.1 g, Protein: 14.5g
Adapted from: http://www.skinnytaste.com/oven-fried-chicken/