Farmer’s Chicken Sausage Frittata
Nutrition Fact: September is national chicken month. Celebrate by thinking outside of the chicken breast box with this hearty meal filled with lean chicken sausage. Utilizing chicken sausage in place of regular pork sausage can save you up to 100 calories, 5g of fat (1.5g saturated fat), and 125mg sodium. Make this meal as a healthy weekend breakfast or easy weeknight dinner your whole family will love.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
1 8oz pkg fully cooked Country Style Breakfast Chicken Sausage (i.e. Al Fresco), diced ¼” pieces
1 tsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 potato, peeled & diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup egg whites, raw
4 large eggs
2 tsp dried basil leaves
¼ tsp black pepper
4 sprigs fresh basil for garnish
- Heat oil in a 10″ to 12″ heavy oven-proof non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage, bell pepper, potato, and onion and cook about 4 to 5 minutes or until pepper is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whip eggs with basil, and pepper.
- Pour eggs atop sausage mixture and stir lightly to coat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook until eggs are almost set.
- Preheat broiler. Remove cover and place skillet 4″-5″ under preheated broiler to lightly brown eggs.
- Cut into wedges and garnish with whole fresh basil leaves.
Calories: 170cal, Fat: 7g, Carbohydrates: 11g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 15g, Sodium: 382mg