Chickpea Walnut Burgers
Written by: Sarah Muniz RD, LDN
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
This meatless burger is a great idea to try on Meatless Mondays or any day of the week when you need a delicious meal in a short amount of time. The chickpeas provide a lean protein source and high fiber and the walnuts add heart-healthy fats making this burger a nutrient-dense option! For a low-carb meal, consider having the burger without the bun, pair with a simple side salad or some grilled vegetables and dinner is done!
1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 garlic cloves
1/2 medium onion
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 large egg
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 sesame burger buns
4 slices beefsteak tomato
4 slices red onion
- In a colander rinse and drain chick-peas. In a food processor pulse garlic, onion, and rosemary until chopped coarse. Add chick-peas, parsley, and bread crumbs and pulse until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in walnuts, egg, and salt and pepper (to taste) until well combined.
- Form mixture into four 3-inch patties. Chill patties, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- In a large skillet heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Toast sesame buns. Transfer burgers to buns and top with tomato and onion.
Serving Size: 1 burger
Calories: 491, Fat: 17g, Protein: 19g, Carbohydrates: 67g, Fiber: 11g, Sodium: 617mg