Written by: Elizabeth Elam MS, RD,LDN
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
This dish highlights summer vegetables and herbs. To round out the meal, serve with pasta or crusty bread to soak up extra juices. Since it reheats well, it would make a great recipe for meal prep!
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
Four 4-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon olive oil
One 8-ounce package pre-sliced mushrooms
1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped plum tomato
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- Combine garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8th teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle chicken with spice mixture.
- Place chicken on a pan coated with cooking spray and broil for 6 minutes on each side or until the temperature reads 160 degrees. Alternatively, grill chicken.
- Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, zucchini, minced garlic and 1/4th teaspoon of salt and 1/8th teaspoon pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato, onion, basil, and vinegar and saute for 3 minutes.
- Serve vegetable mixture over chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
Serving Size: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup vegetables, and 1 tablespoon cheese
Calories: 229, Fat: 7g, Protein: 31g, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 2g, Sodium: 489mg